The mission of the Lindsay Pettus Greenway, Inc. is to solicit, receive, manage and disburse funds for the development, maintenance, and operations of the Lindsay Pettus Greenway and trail system in the City of Lancaster, South Carolina.
As a 100% volunteer-led organization, we're proud that every dollar raised is used to plan, build, and promote the Greenway. Even more so, we're proud that the Greenway is an integrated component of the City of Lancaster's Downtown Revitalization efforts. The organization holds itself to high standards of integrity in its financial reporting. We invite you to review the organization's IRS 501(c)3 Ruling Letter and our 990 Forms from 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015.
OUR HISTORY OF PRIVATE/PUBLIC COLLABORATION
SUMMER 2014 - SPRING 2015
- Assessed and cultivated initial community support for a trail along Gills Creek, in partnership with Katawba Valley Land Trust
- Learned best practices for greenway development by partnering with Carolina Thread Trail
- Organized a volunteer steering committee and became an incorporated nonprofit to gain tax-exempt status
- Hosted public information meeting to gain resident input
SUMMER 2015 - SPRING 2017
- Received initial construction drawings & cost estimates for Phase 1 design (the first two miles from Barr Street to Gillsbrook Drive)
- Launched capital campaign to generate financial support for a 5-mile hard-surface trail with amenities to weave throughout the City of Lancaster
- Engaged more residents, gained more corporate donors, and sought grant funding
SUMMER 2017 - SUMMER 2018
- Gained permits, under the leadership of our Design-Build Team, including floodplain engineering and traffic intersection analysis for Phase 1 (Barr Street to Gillsbrook Drive)
- Advocated for enhanced crosswalks, bike lanes, and bike racks throughout downtown Lancaster, in partnership with the Eat Smart Move More Lancaster coalition
- Developed a new website, e-newsletter, and a stronger social media presence to ensure donors were informed and citizens engaged in the behind-the-scenes process
- Advocated for $2.5 million of County-wide recreation bond referendum to be allocated to the Lindsay Pettus Greenway to complete Phase 1 (the first two miles from Barr Street to Gillsbrook Drive & the environmental education area)
- Partnered with a citizen committee to ask voters to 'Be In Favor' of the recreation bond on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 to increase Lancaster County's per capita spending on much-needed recreation upgrades
- Celebrated a successful County-wide recreation bond campaign on November 6, 2018, which empowered the Greenway with enough resources to shift to construction of Phase 1.
As a result of the Recreation Bond successfully passing, the Lindsay Pettus Greenway was now poised to begin construction on Phase 1 in the heart of Lancaster County. The groundbreaking event was held Thursday, April 11th at the Barr Street Learning Center with over 100 people in attendance. Phase 1's route stretches from Barr Street to Gillsbrook Drive and includes:
- Two miles of the trail system meandering along Gills Creek
- Environmental education center (nature pavilion, parking area, restrooms, and viewing piers) near Colonial Avenue & Roddey Drive
- Three public trailheads, including:
- Gillsbrook Road & Survey Street
- Colonial Avenue near North Elementary & Lancaster High schools
- Barr Street Learning Center, off of E. Meeting Street
SUMMER & FALL 2019
- Inaugurated Phase 1's trail construction with Duke Energy volunteers clearing and removing brush in June. Remaining construction is being led by Perception Builders.
- Conducted a flora and fauna inventory with professional naturalist Josh Arrants of Arrants Outdoors in partnership with Katawba Valley Land Trust. This information will not only be used for signage at the environmental education center, but will lead to educational content for school field trips.
- Facilitated strategy sessions with various departments of the City of Lancaster to ensure the first two miles of the Greenway meets the community's expectations
SPRING & SUMMER 2020
- Engaged community partners throughout Lancaster County and the Charlotte region to develop an 'activation plan' for ongoing public programming on the Greenway, including environmental education and outdoor art
- Continued to construct the first two miles (led by Perception Builders) in hopes to open in Fall 2020
- Shifted our sights to plan and design Phase 2 of the Greenway
- Successfully advocated for the Greenway to be included in the County's Capital Project Sales Tax renewal referendum
- Hosted two trail clean-up and beautification events, bringing in over 75+ volunteers to plant trees and pick up litter along Gills Creek.
- Officially signed an agreement with the City of Lancaster and Katawba Valley Land Trust on the mutual collaborative arrangement to maintain the trail, provide public safety, and offer programming on the Greenway.
- Completed construction of Phase 1 of the Greenway (the first two miles from Barr Street to Gillsbrook Drive) and opened to the public on Saturday, November 21, 2020.
SPRING & SUMMER 2021
- Experienced an unprecedented amount of positive visitor feedback and hosted 50 community events in the first six months of the trail's opening
- Completed all Phase 1 facilities, including the opening of the Founders Federal Credit Union Trail Access at Barr Street
- Shifted our sights to plan and design of Phase 2 of the Greenway
- Partnered with the Lancaster County Council of the Arts to commission the painting of a mural on the Woodland Drive tunnel underpass
FALL 2021 & BEYOND!
From hiding Geocaches to a creating an iNaturalist photo project, from advocating for pedestrian safety to installing a reflection bench, Lancaster residents are contributing in their own unique ways to activate and improve the Lindsay Pettus Greenway experience for ALL to enjoy. We're delighted to witness how the community has taken ownership for our shared natural space!
Donate securely online now!
We're a 100% volunteer-led organization with unprecedented private/public collaboration. Every dollar that we raise helps to plan, build, and promote the Greenway. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed. Donate securely online through PayPal or mail checks to: Lindsay Pettus Greenway, PO Box 1776, Lancaster SC, 29721.