The mission of the Lindsay Pettus Greenway, Inc. is to solicit, receive, manage and disburse funds for the development, maintenance, and operations of the Lindsay Pettus Greenway and trail system in the City of Lancaster, South Carolina. As a 100% volunteer-led organization, we focus our fundraising efforts to expand and enhance the Greenway. We're proud that the Greenway is an integrated component of the City of Lancaster's Downtown Revitalization efforts.
The Lindsay Pettus Greenway, Inc. organization holds itself to high standards of integrity in its financial reporting. We invite you to review the organization's IRS 501(c)3 Ruling Letter and our 990 Forms from 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 and 2015.
OUR HISTORY OF PRIVATE/PUBLIC COLLABORATION
2014 - 2017
- Assessed and cultivated initial community support for a trail along Gills Creek, in partnership with Katawba Valley Land Trust
- Learned best practices for greenway development by partnering with Carolina Thread Trail
- Organized a volunteer steering committee and became an incorporated nonprofit to gain tax-exempt status
- Hosted public information meeting to gain resident input, gained more corporate donors, and sought grant funding
- Launched capital campaign to generate financial support for the hard-surface trail with amenities to weave throughout the City of Lancaster
- Gained permits, under the leadership of our Design-Build Team, including floodplain engineering and traffic intersection analysis for Phase 1 (Barr Street to Gillsbrook Drive)
2018 - 2019
- Worked with Catawba Council of Governments and successfully advocated for enhanced crosswalks, bike lanes, and bike racks throughout downtown Lancaster
- Developed a new website, e-newsletter, and a stronger social media presence to ensure donors were informed and citizens engaged in the behind-the-scenes process
- Successfully advocated for $2.5 million of County-wide recreation bond referendum to be allocated to the Lindsay Pettus Greenway to complete Phase 1 and partnered with a citizen committee to ask voters to 'Be In Favor' of the recreation bond on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 to increase Lancaster County's per capita spending on much-needed recreation upgrades
- Held a groundbreaking event was held Thursday, April 11th at the Barr Street Learning Center with over 150 people in attendance.
2019 - 2020
- Inaugurated Phase 1's trail construction with Duke Energy volunteers clearing and removing brush in June. Remaining construction is being led by Perception Builders.
- Engaged community partners to develop a programming plan, including environmental education and outdoor art
- Successfully advocated for the Greenway to be included in the County's Capital Project Sales Tax renewal referendum
- Officially signed an agreement with the City of Lancaster and Katawba Valley Land Trust on the mutual collaborative arrangement to maintain the trail.
2021 & BEYOND
- Completed all Phase 1 facilities, including the opening of the Founders Federal Credit Union Trail Access at Barr Street
- Shifted our sights to plan and design of future phases of the Greenway
- Partnered with many community organizations to activate the trail with amenities, including a mural on the Woodland Drive tunnel underpass, environmental education signage, a Little Free Library, and a Track Trails nature brochure kiosk
- From geocaches to pollinator gardens, we're delighted to witness how community residents have taken ownership in beautifying our shared natural space!
Donate securely online now!
We're a 100% volunteer-led organization with unprecedented private/public collaboration. We focus our fundraising efforts to expand and enhance the Greenway. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed. Donate securely online through PayPal or mail checks to: Lindsay Pettus Greenway, PO Box 1776, Lancaster SC, 29721.