The Lindsay Pettus Greenway is comprised of dedicated volunteer residents throughout Lancaster County. The Greenway will strengthen Lancaster County by promoting economic development, physical activity, and land conservation. We are an example of unprecedented local collaboration that strives to connect residents to nature and to each other through a five-mile greenway and an environmental education center in the heart of Lancaster, South Carolina.
Summer 2014 - Spring 2015
- Assessed and cultivated initial community support for a trail along Gills Creek, in partnership with Katawba Valley Land Trust
- Learned best practices for greenway development by partnering with Carolina Thread Trail
- Organized a volunteer steering committee and became an incorporated nonprofit to gain tax-exempt status
- Hosted public information meeting to gain resident input
ACCRUED SEED FUNDING: $55,000
Summer 2015 - Spring 2017
- Received initial construction drawings & cost estimates for Phase 1 design (the first two miles)
- Launched capital campaign to generate financial support for a 5-mile paved trail with amenities to weave throughout the City of Lancaster
- Engaged more residents, gained more corporate donors, and sought grant funding
ACCRUED FUNDING COMMITMENTS: $900,000
Summer 2017 - Summer 2018
- Gained permits, under the leadership of our Design-Build Team, including floodplain engineering, traffic intersection analysis, and under-crossing bridge approvals
- Advocated for enhanced crosswalks, bike lanes, and bike racks throughout downtown Lancaster, in partnership with the Eat Smart Move More Lancaster coalition
- Developed a new website, e-newsletter, and a stronger social media presence to ensure donors were informed and citizens engaged in the behind-the-scenes process
ACCRUED FUNDING COMMITMENTS: $2.2 MILLION
- Advocated for $2.5 million of County-wide recreation bond referendum to be allocated to the Lindsay Pettus Greenway to complete Phase 1 (the first two miles & environmental education center)
- Partnered with a citizen committee to ask voters to 'Be In Favor' of the recreation bond on Tuesday, November 6, 2018 to increase the County's per capita spending on much-needed recreation upgrades
- Celebrated a successful County-wide recreation bond campaign on November 6, 2018, which empowered the Greenway with enough resources to shift to construction of Phase 1.
ACCRUED FUNDING COMMITMENTS: $4.7 MILLION
As a result of the Lancaster County Recreation Bond successfully passing, the Lindsay Pettus Greenway is now poised to begin construction on Phase 1 in Lancaster, which will include:
- Two miles of the trail system meandering along Gills Creek
- Environmental education center (nature pavilion, parking area, restrooms, and viewing piers) near Colonial Avenue & Roddey Drive
- Three public access points, including:
- Gillsbrook Road & Survey Street
- Colonial Avenue near North Elementary & Lancaster High schools
- Barr Street theatre, off of E. Meeting Street
Donate securely online now!
We're a 100% volunteer-led organization. Every dollar that you donate goes to building the Greenway. Donations are tax-deductible as allowed. Donate securely online through PayPal or mail checks to: Lindsay Pettus Greenway, PO Box 1776, Lancaster SC, 29721.